1.05.2006

searching for god knows what

right now, I'm reading Donald Miller's Searching for God Knows What - one of the two books I got for Christmas (the other of which is Louie Giglio's i am not, but i know I AM. I finished that one in a couple of days and it rocked my world so much, I already made my sister borrow it to read it).

here are a couple of quotes from Mr. Miller to ponder....

re: theology
It makes you wonder if guys like John and Paul and Moses wouldn't look at our systematic theology charts, our lists and [formulas] and scratch their heads to say, Well, it's technically true; it just isn't meaningful.

re: the gospel

But if it is more, if it is a story about humanity falling away from the community that named it, and an attempt to bring humanity back to that community, and if it is more than a series of ideas, but rather speaks directly into this basic human need we are feeling, then the gospel of Jesus is the most relevant message in the history of mankind.

No comments: