3.13.2006

hawai'i adventures

the past two days have been so much fun, and full of a few crazy moments.

the first (and more wacky) adventure came two mornings ago. cooper took jodi and I on a kayak trip across the channel to coconut island. gilligan's island fans: this is the island shown at the beginning of every episode.

i'm not used to kayaking - and I'm very out of shape. so the trip across the unsually choppy water was a bit straining for me. on the way back, I overturned my boat!

jodi tried to get close so she could grab my paddle and I could climb back in. she had a tough time steering and ended up circling me a few times. by this time, cooper (who had smoked us all and had to come back to help) talked me into swimming toward the nearby coral so I could stand up and hop into my kayak.

they ended up losing control of my empty kayak and spent about 15 minutes trying to bring it back to me. meanwhile, I'm getting TORN UP on some coral. I ended up with more than a few little skin tears and punctures on my feet and legs. we all made it back safely, and yes, laughing at ourselves.

otherwise, we've seen and eaten some amazing stuff. fresh fish tacos, amazing fish and shrimp plates at various local island favorites. we've seen natural blowholes, dolphins, a lighthouse, and we've hiked to the waimea waterfall - which Kate and Sawyer swam in during an episode of Lost from season 1.

this week, we'll explore a little more of Oahu, we'll hit a real-deal luau, then skip over to Kuwai to see some more beautiful stuff. aloha!

No comments: