6.11.2005

"thank god jesus didn't copyright the gospel"

in response to all the FBI warnings on every CD you'll ever buy, here's a pretty compelling essay on legal issues with christian music copyrights.

my own songs are licensed under a creative commons license... similar idea. for me, I can sleep at night knowing that:
  • i've not demanded full credit (and subsequent reimbursement) for songs that God inspired in me anyway.
  • the government hasn't determined when I can and can't share my songs. after all, copyright laws are kind of arbitrary, especially amounts of reimbursement set for recording or "performing" worship songs.
  • after all, allowing downloading, sharing, and burning of my songs is simply more realistic and technologically relevant.
  • people won't be giving more to me, for the sake of my comfort, than they will to the Church, to missionaries, or to the needy.
  • money much less of an obstacle to the Lord doing his work through my songs.

I do go back and forth regularly with this issue: what if a Christian label were to sign me, expecting me to comply with these laws? would I give up my soapbox for the sake of expansion of my ministry?

No comments: