6.23.2005

the website

lots of people have asked me what I did to get my website going since I started. the truth is, I did it CHEAP... like less than $150... and that's crazy cheap. here's what I did:

  • I started with a template like these or these. mine cost $120. if you're on a tight budget and can't spring the $2000 for a custom website, you can't afford not to do this. mine came with a framework in which to set up an online Paypal "store", a photo gallery, and an mp3 download area. google something like 'musician website template' (they make ones for photographers, artists, churches, etc). lots of them include flash, and are totally customizable (is that a word?).
  • I got dirt cheap hosting. $1.99/month for unlimited memory/email and 25meg of bandwidth. found this one by doing an ebay search for web hosting - about a zillion auctions come up.
  • I downloaded free versions of 1st page 2000 (html editing program) and cute FTP home (to upload your website to your host).
  • I learned html. you should too. it's easy and get's you pretty far in updating your own content. I keep the phone numbers of a couple of web-design pals handy - just in case I need their advice on a little trick to do in html code. next, I need to conquer Flash.
  • I keep it updated. at least once a week, I update something - the news section, new pictures, upcoming gigs, new songs, a new feature (like my recently added "previous gigs" section). updating a lot keeps people and search engine spiders interested.
  • I actually look at it once in a while. there's always room for improvement.

any questions, class?

No comments: