9.05.2004

jesus & beer (i'll be #3)

another little poem...

“what’s your take on the whole Jesus thing,” I ask.
the buzz from my last two has me a little more loose.
(thank you jesus for the beer).

as we yell in each others’ ears over the rowdy band
in this dark corridor of a club,
she tells me of what she calls her ‘last sour drive-by with god.’
I hear and smell that the brew has
let her guard down a bit too.
(thanks jesus, for the beer).

she inquires of the brickyard preacher,
televangelists and hypocritical Christianity;
she brings up the holocaust, 9/11, and childhood rape
– the latter a little more personal.
(again, thanks for the brew, big guy).

i ask “why? my first decent beer buzz in over a month
and you put me in this smoky lounge with her?”

right when i think she’s more receptive,
when i’m praying for my words
and the recognition of her self-poverty to jive,
she storms away – tears, cigarette,
clutching her half-empty beer, life, heart.
yet as i stand alone at the bar,
waitress asking what i’d done
to piss off the chick with dreadlocks,
i understand exactly why, looking up, thinking,

“hey man, if 10 people need to talk to her,
before she accepts you,
i’ll be number three.”
(thank you beer for the jesus).


No comments: